Previous Chapter: The Bridge
Next Chapter: Tourism
The Promenade
In 1924 a mini tsunami hit Barmouth and caused flooding along Marine Parade, Wellington Terrace and the area where the council estate is today. There was also extensive flooding along the Mawddach with much of Arthog under water.
Further flooding occurred in 1927 and rudimentary sea defences were severely damaged. Much of the promenade was also damaged and it was decided to build proper sea defences and a new promenade for Barmouth.

Tsunami 1924

Storm Damage 1927

Storm Damage 1927
In 1928 an extensive construction project began. Originally the promenade went as far as the Arbour Hotel / Marine Mansions / Sandbanks Hotel but the new prom would extend further north. Local workers were used but many of the workforce came from South Wales. They were willing to work for less money than the locals and this caused a lot of trouble.

Stone Wallers 1928

Local Stone Wallers 1930
So much stone had to be moved and sand dunes had to be removed that a purpose-built railway line was built that ran the length of the prom. By 1933 the works were complete, and the ex-Prime Minister David Lloyd George came to Barmouth, with his wife, to open the new sea defences and promenade.

Hardcore Preparation

Sea wall train 1930

Laying train track 1930

Removal of dunes 1930

Prom construction 1931

Prom construction 1931

Lloyd George opening the prom 1933

The new prom 1933
Previous Chapter: The Bridge
Next Chapter: Tourism